If you are in immediate danger call
If you are in immediate danger call 000
If you are worried about yourself or a person

If you are worried about a person

If someone is in immediate danger, Call 000.

General Concerns

If someone you know is struggling to cope or having a difficult time, you might feel unsure of what to say or how to help. While checking in and asking if they are okay might seem like a difficult conversation to have, it could be a life-saving one.

Everyone experiences emotional distress in different ways. Not everyone who is having a difficult time will show outward signs, however, signs to look out for if you are worried about someone might include:

  • Restlessness and increased agitation
  • Emotional outbursts
  • Withdrawing from people they would usually connect with
  • Withdrawing from regular activities such as work or school
  • Describing feeling helpless, hopeless or worthless
  • Not wanting to do things they usually enjoy
  • Increased use of alcohol or other drugs
  • Not replying messages, calls or emails, or being distant
  • Talking about not being around any more

If you feel the person is not in immediate danger and you are working for an organisation, report your concerns to your manager so they can decide what needs to be done or call CFSS WA on 9941 1251.

If you feel the person is not in immediate danger, and you are not working for an organisation, seek further advice from CFSS WA or another professional government or non-government agency.

Personal Safety Concerns

If, for any reason, you have information or you are concerned that someone is at risk of being physically, emotionally or sexually hurt or abused  by someone else, then you have a responsibility to take action, especially when it involves a child.

If you believe a child is in immediate danger or life-threatening situation, contact the Western Australia Police Force immediately by dialling 000.

If you are concerned about a child’s wellbeing (and it doesn’t require immediate Police attention), please contact the Department of Communities on 1800 273 889.

Please visit, www.wa.gov.au/organisation/department-of-communities/child-protection

To make a report to child protection a person needs to have formed a reasonable belief that a child has suffered or is likely to suffer significant harm as a result of abuse or neglect, and that their parent has not protected or is unlikely to protect the child from harm of that type. A reasonable belief does not require proof.

Self Harm and Suicide

If you are concerned about someone committing suicide or self harming you need to ask hard questions. Ask the person “Have you thought about killing yourself?”

If they're thinking about taking their own life, encourage them to call Lifeline on 13 11 14 - or you can reach out on their behalf, we can help you keep them safe.

If they say yes, the most important things for you to do are to:

  • keep them safe – do not leave them alone
  • get them some immediate professional help.

To keep them safe, remove any dangerous items from their physical location, particularly if they have mentioned a suicide plan.

If they share details of their plan with you, don’t agree to keep these or their suicidal thoughts a secret.

Keep talking and listening to them. Be positive about the role professionals can play in helping them through tough times. You can say things like:

“I think it’s time to link in with someone who can support you. I can help you find the right person to talk to.”

“You’re not alone. We can figure this out together”

“Who’s a person you trust? I would like to call them so we can both help.”

Getting them to professional help can start with any of these options:

  • Calling a crisis support line together
  • Going with them to an Emergency Department
  • Going with them to a community centre or recovery centre
  • Taking them somewhere that feels safe to them but where they won’t be alone

If you believe their life is in immediate danger or you are finding the situation difficult to manage, call 000.

Source: : Lifeline WA  and R U OK